Portland Area Local News
KGW - Local KGW Rss Feed
- Portland police explain why they couldn't respond to Lloyd Center street takeoveron March 25, 2023 at 5:27 am
A Portland Police Bureau spokesman said that low staffing, among other issues, hampered officers from responding to Saturday's street takeover.
- Oregon Zoo celebrates baby orangutan’s birthday in partnership with Wine by Joe to fund conservation effortson March 25, 2023 at 4:03 am
Now through April 30, a portion of sales from Wine by Joe’s Pinot Noir and Pinot Gris will go to the Oregon Zoo Foundation’s orangutan conservation efforts.
- Rain/snow showers in the morning, againon March 25, 2023 at 2:01 am
Dry and warmer for most of next week
- Collaboration keeps Wilsonville songwriter's music alive after Parkinson's diagnosison March 25, 2023 at 1:57 am
After Joanne Duffin was diagnosed with Parkinson's she thought her musical dreams were over. But with a little help, her songs will live on.
- Community remembers Portland's iconic drag queen of queens, Darcelle XVon March 25, 2023 at 1:54 am
Walter Cole blazed a trail that drag queens, gay men and many others would follow — embodying Darcelle's epithet of "the bold, the blonde and the beautiful."
- Kyron Horman’s mom meets with new Multnomah County Sheriffon March 25, 2023 at 1:20 am
Desiree Young called for the meeting in hopes the new sheriff will dedicate time and resources to help find her son, still missing after nearly 13 years.
- Clackamas County halts purchase of hotel after Chair Tootie Smith reverses her vote for the planned transitional housing facilityon March 25, 2023 at 12:27 am
Smith cast the deciding vote in a 3-2 decision to buy the hotel in February. The transitional housing plan drew pushback from nearby business owners.
- More young people are being diagnosed with colon cancer, experts sayon March 25, 2023 at 12:21 am
Nicole Friedman is working to recover and get back to running, one year after receiving a surprising colon cancer diagnosis at age 35.
- Apple store removing security walls surrounding downtown Portland locationon March 25, 2023 at 12:08 am
The walls went up several years ago amidst civil unrest in Portland.
- Homeless women face high risks for domestic violence on Portland's streetson March 25, 2023 at 12:05 am
About 75% of calls to the organization Bradley Angle, which works to connect domestic violence survivors to safe housing, come from women experiencing homelessness.
- Two suspects arrested for car crash that killed two women in Hillsboroon March 24, 2023 at 11:25 pm
Aaliyah Shelton, 20, and Adriana Shelton, 19, were turning out of a parking lot in September 2022 when another car slammed into their vehicle at high speed.
- Why murder defendant was free before killings in Vancouver, Washingtonon March 24, 2023 at 10:58 pm
The family of a mother and 7-year-old daughter killed in Vancouver want to know why the woman's boyfriend was granted bail while facing a murder trial in Arkansas.
- Darcelle XV, Portland's drag queen superstar, dead at 92on March 24, 2023 at 10:20 pm
Darcelle launched the iconic drag cabaret "Darcelle XV Showplace" in downtown Portland after buying the building in 1967, opening doors for the LGBTQ community.
- Lawmakers in Oregon approve $200M for homelessness, housingon March 24, 2023 at 8:06 pm
The vast majority of the funding — about $157 million — is aimed at boosting homelessness and eviction prevention services.
- ‘Unprecedented early victory’: Oregon lawmakers pass $200 million package to address homelessness and housingon March 24, 2023 at 8:05 pm
Lawmakers said solutions to Oregon's homeless and housing crisis are now drawing bipartisan support after years of neglect in Salem.
- Rare blue whale skeleton heads to Canada before going on display in Newporton March 24, 2023 at 7:11 pm
OSU collaborated with Dinosaur Valley Studios in Alberta to clean and preserve the bones.
- 1 dead, 1 hospitalized after Gresham house fireon March 24, 2023 at 6:54 pm
The deadly fire broke out around 3 a.m. at a home near Pat Pfeifer Park in Gresham. The structure appeared to be heavily damaged.
- Shooting outside bar in Southeast Portland leaves 1 dead, 1 injuredon March 24, 2023 at 6:15 pm
The shooting happened shortly after 11:30 p.m. Thursday outside Red's Bar & Grill, located in the area of Southeast Foster Road between 70th Avenue and 71st Avenue.
- Gun violence prevention bills in Oregon include tackling 'ghost guns' and raising the minimum purchase ageon March 24, 2023 at 6:12 pm
With last year's Measure 114 on hold due to a court challenge, some lawmakers have begun introducing other gun control bills in Salem.
- ‘It’s momentous’: Portland pathologist shares personal impact of race-based testing for kidney diseaseon March 24, 2023 at 5:49 pm
Historically, a common kidney disease test put race into the equation, causing health disparities in Black and Brown communities. That practice is coming to an end.